Monday, June 25, 2012

Opening FD account

I have a savings bank account with a well-known nationalised bank. I wanted to open a fixed deposit. Since I did not have adequate balance in the SB account, I drew a cheque in favour of the bank from an account with another bank where I had sufficient balance. The normal procedure should have been to send the cheque for clearing and then issue the FD receipt. But the bank said that, under the RBI instructions, I should first transfer the amount to my SB account and then apply for opening an FD account. It may mean a third visit to collect the FD receipt. I do not know whether the procedure has been laid by the RBI. In this day and age, it is antiquated.

- A. Seshan (HBL)

2 comments:

Yecee said...

On the basis of my experience, I find that banks invariably find it easier to justify their procedures with their customers by passing on the buck to RBI. I am sure RBI would not have issued any such instructions. I would suggest that Seshan ask the bank to show him the relevant RBI instructions as I used to do.If in the unlikely event of any such instructions having been issued by RBI, he should dissect them with his usual analytical ability and extraordinary clarity and take up with the RBI Customer Service Department.
A.Chandramouliswaran.

www.warriersblog.com said...

These are games under-staffed branches of both publisector and private sector banks play these days. Most of the customers oblige as they fear that once they question the front-desk officials, the result would be further delay in getting their work done. The irony is private sector banks which were suposed to induce competition and take advantage of technology without the legacy of unskilled staff are not doing much better when it comes to customer service. They avoid small accounts, encourage 'net-banking'(so that they do not have to see the face of the customers) and outsource work when it comes to dealing with small depositors and small loan accounts so that blame can be passed on to someone else. Is RBI's Customer Service Department listening?