Thursday, July 19, 2012

My View on "Subbarao compares spiralling haircut costs and inflation"

It was refreshing to read the Governor's comment on increasing  hair cut costs over the years. Very few persons of his stature have the rare ability to laugh at themselves which speaks of him as modesty personified. In early seventies, in a similar situation, when  asked the reason for hiking hair cut charges, the barber had this to say. "Sahib, don't you think we mortals have to strain our eyes to find hairs on your plate to give  customers like you a semblance of a hair cut?" He had a point = I was dumb struck looking at my receding hair line in the polished mirror.

- K.D.Savkur

2 comments:

Yecee said...

It is indeed remarkable that Dr Subba Rao with all his academic achievements(Director,IIT's Gold Medal,First rank in his batch in IAS, later a Ph.d) and then excelling in his career in many positions which he had come to occupy, nay, adorn( proving that he is not merely a theoretician),he is extremely modest. His modesty is genuine unlike that of some of his predecessors. His integrity is another remarkable thing as we have now come to know his file notings/letter on the pricing of
2G Spectrum. The only fault in him as I see is that he is too gentle and too good for this workaday world. He has to be like a Rajarishi when it comes to punishing, as a part of his duty, those who deserve it with out feeling happy about it .
How I wish I was born 15 years earlier than I did so that I would have had the privilege of working with him.
A. Chandramouliswaran.

Yecee said...

In my earlier comment above, it should have been "born 15 years later" instead of "born 15 years earlier". Such slips occur perhaps because of lack of concentration with advancing years of age!

A. Chandramouliswaran.